July 27th-Aug 2nd
Welcome to another edition of the Donnelly news:
Correction: it was Brady Jergenson who was member of the black Babe Ruth team
Weather news:It has been hot and dry the past week, corn and wheat continue to look very good so far, beans are looking better. A lot of ditch hay is being put up this year. As I am writing this on Thursday a.m., we are getting some much needed rain.
- ST John’s/Kongsvinger news: There will be joint services at St John’s, on July 28th at 10:15 a.m., followed by a farewell pot luck dinner, for Pastor Judy. She is retiring on August 1st, and moving to Fargo.
A block party coordinated by the parish ,is being held today (Saturday) ,at the threshing bee grounds ,starting with a softball game between the fireman and the rod and gun club at 2 p.m., followed by food at 4 p.m. ,and a bean bag tournament. There will be a free will offering, to benefit playground equipment in Donnelly.
There will be a community Vacation Bible School, on July 30th from 9-noon at St John ’s.; July 31st from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at Pomme De Park, with a picnic lunch, at noon. The Wednesday session will include some time at the splash park, so please bring along swim suits, towels etc. in case of bad weather, it will be held at St John’s. Children should be dropped off and picked up at St John’s on Tuesday, and Pomme De Terre Park, on Wednesday. Preschool through 6th grade are invited to attend. To register for it, or for more info, call Joan Fults at 589-4421, or the parish office at 246-3211.
There will be joint services at 10:15 a.m., on August 4 and 18th at Kongsvinger; and August 11 at St John’s.
The August parish newsletter is now out; extra copies are available in the narthex of each church.
There are two upcoming bridal showers at Kongsvinger in August, for Audrey McNally, bride to be of Steve Larson, on August 10th and Amanda Werk, bride to be of Sean Sorteberg, on August 17th. More details later.
- Good Shepherd news: Vacation Bible School will held on Aug 7,14,21,28, from 6-8 p.m. More details later. For more info call 589-4345
- Other church news: Trinity Lutheran of Alberta will have their annual sweet corn feed on August 4th from 5-7 p.m. at the church.
Faith Lutheran Morris will have a church picnic at Wells Park, on July 28th, at 4 p.m.
- Community news: A Gulbrandson- Harstad reunion will be held on July 28th, at Kongsvinger, beginning with a pot luck dinner at noon. All family members are welcome to come and enjoy the afternoon.
There will be an open house celebrating Cliff Bjorlin’s 90th birthday today, (Saturday), from 1 to 4 p.m., at Hosanna Worship Center, Morris.
The Aanerud Family Reunion will be held August 4th at Pomme de Terre Park’s main shelter starting with a noon pot-luck dinner.
On August 5th the red hatters will meet at the Herman bar and grill in Herman at 9 a.m., the bookmobile will be in Donnelly at 3:30 p.m., the Rendsville 4-h and city council will meet at 7 p.m. in the fire hall and city hall in Donnelly.
I know that there are threshing bee buttons now on sale at the United Farmers and Merchants State Bank in Morris and HD & co in Donnelly and probably other places as well. There are some posters up around the area, and the website http://www.donnellythreshingbee.com/ has been updated.
- Celebrations: The reflections softball team, were the runners up in the elementary soft ball tournament. Team members included Kendra Wevley, Kamern Sperr and Miranda Papesh; Brandi Sperr was one of the coaches.
Open class winners at grant county fair included: Barbara Simpson, Linda Volker, and Esther Gilbertson. Bryce Lehman was a winner in his age division in the kiddie tractor pull
Among those competing at the Marv Myer, Prairie Pioneer days, 5k ladies run, were: McKenzie Smith, Rebekah and Savannah Aanerud who placed first, second, and third, and Becca Holland (13th)
Audrina Michelle Boe was born on July 7, to Brittney and Jesse Boe of Fargo, N.D.; grandparents are Randy and Karla Schmiesing of Chokio and Randy and Cathy Boe of Morris. Great grandparents are Wally and Marls Giese
Micah Aanerud was a member of the royals little league teams that were runners up in this year’s little league tournament
- Mark Koepke and I attended part of the little league championship games at Wells park on July 19th. Later I traveled to Herman for the fireworks show at the Grant County Fair. En-route home, I stopped at the relay for life event at Pomme de Terre Park.
Several current and former Donnelly area residents, were among those of us who attended the visitation for Lloyd Plocker, at the Pederson funeral home in Morris, on July 19th .He was my aunt Pearl (Albert’s), brother -in -law.
The threshing bee royalty were part of the Grant County fair parade in Herman, on July 20th.Later I took in some of the activities at the fairgrounds.
July 21st Mark and I attended the 50th anniversary polka mass, and dinner at the West Wing Village, then traveled to Herman for some the Grant County fair activities.
The Stevens County Republican Party steering committee had a meeting on July 22nd at Detoy's. We are looking for people to sit in the fair booth if interested call 795-2806.
For the person who put a note in my post office “mail box” about dogs in Donnelly, I would suggest you talk to the council about it.